Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a car which it's title and plates are registered in Wisconsin. The title is in the name of name of Family member but is signed over to me. I would like to register the car[ in my name] in Illinois.

I have found the Illinois Cyber Drive Vehicle Services page, and would normally think I'd need to go through the Apply for Registration and Title content, but the plates and title are from out of state and I am unsure of how to proceed.

The Title and Registration page briefly mentions "out-of-state" but none of the mentions seem to pertain to acquiring a car from out of state through a private transaction.

Could someone point me to information on how to transfer an out of state title to Illinois, registering the car, and acquiring Illinois Plates (all of which I would think should be able to be accomplished in a single step) for a vehicle?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Gabriel Mongeon, mac, Timo Geusch, Nick C, Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2 Feb 28 '14 at 12:11

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question does not appear to be about motor vehicle maintenance or repair within the scope defined in the help center." – Gabriel Mongeon, mac, Timo Geusch
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Prepare all of the paperwork listed on this page and travel to an SOS office where they'll issue you your plates.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.