Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A few weeks ago, my Rebel 250 blew a piston, allowing the piston rod to beat on the top of the cylinder and the valves.

There's some scarring there now, as well as a jagged protrusion or two. What are my options for repairing this scarring?

Can I hone it down to simply get rid of the jagged bits, then brush it out?

Or should I replace the entire cylinder head?

Here's an image of what I'm working with. It's not great, but the damaged head is on the top.

Image of the damaged cylinder; on top

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Depending on the depth of the scar, honing might work. Otherwise, depending on availability of parts, you can replace the cylinder head.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the response! I posted an image of the damaged cylinder head, if it helps any. – BrMcMullin Nov 30 '12 at 21:36

If the damage is mostly superficial, and it's not warped or causing a gasket leak or a valve leak ( which could let coolant into your oil and then you will have problems), I think that you could very easily get by without replacing the cylinder head.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.