Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The control shafts that move the flaps which control the the hot/cold air and which vents the air come out have broken. The car is a 1999 93 Saab so I'm assuming that the hinges (the flap has a peg that goes through a hole) just need lubrication. (In addition to a replacement control shaft).

I can see that there's existing grease of some sort.

What should I be using? Is it something special and what is it called?

share|improve this question
Are you refering to the dash outlets or the divetrer that controls heat/defrost/dash fuunctions also called a mixing door? – mikes Oct 16 '12 at 21:30
I'm referring to both actually. There's two control shafts and they're both broken. (the design of the control shafts is inherently weak). I've only looked at the side that controls the dash outlets from when it previously broke. I'm making an assumption the mixing door is similar. Itls a pain to open up the paneling so wanted to be be prepared with the lub before I took everything apart again. – Alex Oct 17 '12 at 12:18
up vote 2 down vote accepted

In lieu of a better (more specialized) answer, I would use high temperature grease. Nothing too expensive though, I doubt those hinges get hotter than 500F.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.