I have 1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Manual 5-speed with the 22RE Engine. Starting a few weeks ago, while at speed, the truck would randomly make this loud rubbing/grinding noise coming from the rear. I've captured it on video, and was hoping somebody could pinpoint the type of sound.
Here's what I've determined so far:
- Happens randomly while at speed
- Happens at various speeds, but mainly starts above 40 mph
- When the noise happens, slowing down to a few MPH will stop it
- Noise seems to be irrelevant from transmission. happens in gear, or while coasting in neutral
- Jerking truck to the left will pause noise for a second. Jerking right seems to have no effect
- I do feel a surge/friction when it happens, along with vibration.
In asking the people around me, I've heard mostly rear bearings, or drive shaft u-joints. I was hoping somebody could listen to this noise and narrow it down for me. The way the noise kicks in with a yelp, then settles down is strange to me.
Here's video of the noise. Thanks for taking a look.