Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have several new-ish (2011+) Nissan cars that need key work (more keys/removing lost keys). All have the new proximity key (with the slide-out door key).

From my searching it seems that the only way to do this is with special equipment, but it seems that the equipment is available to locksmiths.
I don't want to go to the dealer or a locksmith and spend hundreds of dollars for each key.
How might I go about finding this type of programming equipment?

share|improve this question
You need to post the exact make and model to get any help on programming. Some if not most cars don't need special equipment if you have at least one working key. Buying the programming equipment will be at least several hundred dollars. – Move More Comments Link To Top Jul 27 '12 at 20:33
If you are in the US, Wal-mart can program some vehicle keys. You would have to check with them about which makes and models. – Nick Jul 28 '12 at 15:17

It appears your only choice if you want to do it yourself is to purchase the Consult III plus, which will do the job on all Nissan, Infinity, and GTR vehicles. This is not a cheap option, but if you need to do it for several, the cost investment may be overcome very quickly.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.