Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've got an 86 Chevy C10 pickup. The engine has been replaced with what I have been told is a "354". Most of the work I've done on cars has been via a Haynes manuel. But, because I'm dealing with a different engine, I don't know where to find information on torque specs, how to's etc.

I'm not a pro, but I have decent tools and some experience. I know a mechanic who can help me through the tough parts, but I want to be able to do some of the more basic stuff on my own. Can I buy a hayne's for this type of engine, if yes how do I figure out which one to buy? Or, what else can I do?

I found the numbers "14101074" stamped in the back center of the engine, just behind the carburetor. According to several online sources this engine casting number is for a 305 engine belonging to an 82-92 Camaro. Considering it has TPI,that puts it between 87 - 92.

share|improve this question
You sure they didn't mean 454? Do you know if it's a smallblock or bigblock? – Move More Comments Link To Top Jul 10 '12 at 0:46
I don't know if it's smallblock or bigblock or how to tell. I believe the original engine was a 454, but this engine is definitely smaller. Two guys better than I said it was a 354. – P.Brian.Mackey Jul 10 '12 at 1:10
I'd be good with a 355, or a 454. Don't think I have ever heard of a 354. Based on this thread however it may indeed be a 354 – Move More Comments Link To Top Jul 10 '12 at 1:44
There should be a sticker in the glove box with the RPO codes (groups of 3 letters/numbers). One of them will be for the engine, it will probably start with an L. – Mark Johnson Jul 12 '12 at 20:31
@MarkJohnson - Well there is, but that's original equipment info. This is a different engine. – P.Brian.Mackey Jul 16 '12 at 14:14
up vote 3 down vote accepted

If you can figure out another application (vehicle) for that engine, you can refer to the engine related parts of a manual for that application. Or at least look up information on the internet.

There will be numbers cast into the block which should help identify it. Here's a link to get you started, assuming you've got a small block Chevy. This looks like a nice database once you've got the numbers.

share|improve this answer
I havent found those numbers yet. Can I see these numbers with the engine still in the truck? – P.Brian.Mackey Jul 11 '12 at 20:03
@P.Brian.Mackey If you can see the back of the driver side of the cylinder head, you should be able to get the block casting ID. If it's a small block Chevy, anyway. – Mark Johnson Jul 11 '12 at 21:16

there is typically a casting number on the block. It is located just to the rear of the drivers side cylinder head. Don't confuse this with the serial number pad that is located on the front of the block in front of the passenger side cylinder head. This site has some good photos showing both locations.

share|improve this answer
Did you forgot the link? – Gabriel Mongeon Jul 10 '12 at 11:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.