I just bought a '72 FJ40 and realized that three out the four (drum) brake cylinder's are seized and one of the grease seals is leaking bad.
Since I have to replace the brake cylinder's, I am wondering if I should, instead, take the money that I would have spent on the new cylinder's and use it towards a disc brake conversion.
Questions I have:
- What are the Pros/Cons with doing a disc brake conversion?
- Should I convert the rear drums to disc, too? (Assuming I can afford it).
- Will I need to get new wheels if I convert to disc brakes?
- I plan on staying true to "stock" on my FJ40 - Will converting to disc brakes take away that "stock" vibe? or is a disc break conversion a welcome addition regardless if it wasn't a stock option back in the day.
- Are disc brake kit conversions the ideal solution? or is there a better way of going about the conversion?