Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to know what are those two big plates on both sides of this engine:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

They are Smoke deflectors. From Wikipedia:

...designed to lift smoke away from the locomotive at speed so that the driver has better visibility...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.