Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I got new tires today and saw that the part that's circled is broken on my car. It looks like it just snapped at the top because part of the bolt appears to still be in whatever the tube is. Anyone know the name of the thing circled in red?

If it helps, I have a 2000 Ford Explorer.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

Looks like a Stabilizer Bar Link for your steering stabilizer.

share|improve this answer

Wakeeta is right: this is your stabilizer bar link (AKA sway bar link). This is apparently a common failure point. Here's a very similar picture. A quick shopping search indicates that a replacement part is on the order of $30 (sweat equity not included).

share|improve this answer

It's also called ''sway bar link''

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.