I found these instructions on a forum. After several tries, I was able to get both the ignition and keyless entry to work.
Make sure you have on your original key and have looked on the back for a black toyota logo. This WILL NOT work for the smart keys with the SILVER toyota logo.
(Yes it Does for a 2009 Prius. Also BIG Thing: Have only the old remote and new or USED remote in the car. No Cell or Phone or Blue Tooth)
- Insert old fob into slot and remove it 4 times in a row, and insert it a fifth time but leave it in there!
- Open and close driver door 6 times.
- Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point.
- Insert new fob and leave in the slot for a full minute. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard. When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set.
- After a minute, press the power once and open door, or vise-vera, Hey it worked for me, but only with the FOB inserted.
- Remove the new fob and you're done. You should test both fobs to be sure they work properly.
Now for the door lock functions.
The Fob (for remotely unlocking/locking the doors)
- Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the driver door unlocked and opened. Other doors can be locked or unlocked, it doesn't matter.
- Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.
- Close and open driver door twice.
- Insert and remove old fob once.
- Close and open driver door twice again.
- Insert old fob in slot and close door.
- Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second, press it a third time to turn car back off.
- Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point.
- Car should lock and unlock doors TWICE to verify it is in add mode.
- Press both buttons on new fob simultaneously for a second and a half!.
11 Within 3 seconds, press only the lock symbol button. yes it does matter which!
- Car should respond with one quick lock/unlock to verify that the new fob is all set. If the car responds with two lock/unlocks, that means it didn't work. I don't know how to troubleshoot that problem. Maybe just try again.
- To end this programming, open a door or put fob in the slot.
- Enjoy the savings from NOT buying a fob from the dealership!!!!!
- If you want metal keys, DO not buy them from ebay, they quoted me $7.92 CUT by them from dealer.