Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

While replacing my brakes this weekend I saw this:

Stabilizer bar?

My best guess is that it is the stabilizer bar. It is attached further back in the frame or axle (can't remember for sure).

How hard would this be to replace it myself? It looks like just two bolts.

This is on a '98 Chevy Malibu.

share|improve this question
+1 for great, if painful, pic. ;) – Alex Feinman Oct 27 '11 at 13:22
Getting fixed today. – Mike Wills Oct 27 '11 at 13:35
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Yes, that is the sway bar. There are usually just a couple of bushings (one per side) that attach it to the frame and then however they connect it to the suspension. Shouldn't be hard to replace at all, though monkeying it around to get it in and out may be interesting.

share|improve this answer
I just stopped at the shop to have them take a look. They found a couple other things as well (I don't recall what off the top of my head). They'll fix it all for about $400. At this point, it's worth it for me. My time (and saved frustration) is worth more than they are charging in labor in this case. – Mike Wills Oct 24 '11 at 17:37
Sometimes that's the best way to go. My experience with GM swaybar bushings is that the bolts are really flimsy and snap right off. Can be a lot of pain to work on compared to other makes. – Brian Knoblauch Oct 27 '11 at 12:04
@BrianKnoblauch, in fairness to the bushings and the bolts - it looks like they held. The bar broke but the bolts appear fine.... – Bob Cross Oct 12 '12 at 11:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.