Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

While examining this RV's engine (1989 Fleetwood Southwind 33'), I noticed what appears to be a belt-driven component, which lacks a drive belt. I'm trying to decide how important it is to replace the belt, but I need to know what this device is!

The RV seems to drive without it. It looks like there are air hoses coming out of this unit, one of which goes to the carburetor.

(click for full-size)

share|improve this question
What! No freehand circle? – Move More Comments Link To Top Sep 29 '11 at 5:54
up vote 0 down vote accepted

It's commonly called the smog pump although I am not sure that's the technical name for it. It is a simple vain air pump that puts fresh air into the exhaust manifold to help burn off any unburned fuel and reduce emissions.

It only affects emissions and is not critical to engine operation. It may however require a belt to pass inspection.

See Wikipedia for more information.

share|improve this answer
Agree with the "it's a smog pump" assessment. The belt was probably removed because these things have a habit of seizing over time and disabling them tends to be a little cheaper than replacing them... – Timo Geusch Sep 29 '11 at 19:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.