Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

I've frequently seen this strange little plastic gizmo (circled in the image) and wondered what its purpose is. I'm tired of wondering -- do any of you know? What is it even called? (Don't ask how long it took to find that image...)

Not all cars have them, but I've seen them on 80's cars and new ones, cheap micro cars and "respectable" sedans, but never on really nice cars. It's certainly not a window guide, and I doubt it's aerodynamic. In this picture it seems to extend backwards behind the rubber trim, but I've mostly seen them extend outwards a bit. The whole thing is no bigger than a sugar cube, and is affixed to the frame of the door (doesn't attach to the window, or even touch it).

Image Source

share|improve this question
Good question! :D No clue, lol! – Pᴀᴜʟsᴛᴇʀ2 Jul 17 '14 at 14:37
up vote 6 down vote accepted

It is a guide for the window as it closes. It is only needed for closing the window when traveling at higher speeds as the airflow sucks the window outward. Why you see it on cheaper cars probably has to do with the thickness of the glass and the build of the window frame.

share|improve this answer
Exactly. It is also the thing that gets pried out of position when a bad person wants to steal things from your car. I was never able to get ours precisely back in shape on our old Honda. – Bob Cross Jul 18 '14 at 0:51
Thank you, I would probably never have considered that. I'll have to take your word for it -- I'm not going to attempt to experimentally verify it. – KlaymenDK Jul 18 '14 at 7:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.