Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top


I have a 1980 Suzuki GS550L. Not only did one of the previous owners completely remove the baffles from the exhaust pipes, but they welded fender washers on the end of the pipes, so the OEM baffles are no longer compatible (not that you can even find just the baffles for this bike anyway). I'd like to quiet the bike back down to a reasonable level, since I live in an area where vehicle noise laws are enforced. Oh, and I'm a considerate neighbor. ;)

My Possible Solutions (so far)

  • Pack with fiberglass muffler insulator
    • I'm not sure how to do this or what the product is named
  • Jury-rig a baffle using custom baffle tubing and some not-so-expert welding skills
    • This sounds like an okay idea; I'd just need to visit the hardware store for an hour or two (every trip…)
  • Buy new pipes
    • This is the easiest option, but also the most expensive I think
  • Buy a used exhaust system from a wrecking yard (also available online) [thanks, Peter]
    • This could be hit-or-miss, since a used exhaust may have corroded baffles or a leak, or really any number of problems
  • ???
  • Profit
share|improve this question
Have you tried getting a used exhaust from a wrecker? – Peter Jul 23 '14 at 9:31
I didn't check yet. Good idea! – Oran D. Lord Jul 23 '14 at 12:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.