Take the 2-minute tour ×
Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for mechanics and DIY enthusiast owners of cars, trucks, and motorcycles. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L Engine with California emissions. Installed is a new federal catalytic converter assembly. The problem is that I do not know what kind of oxygen sensor to install into the assembly, because the vehicle is from California. I am looking for a solution that requires me to NOT replace the entire assembly since the assembly is brand new.

Are there adapters available that convert the oxygen sensor's plug from federal to California?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Looking at the description of the California O2 sensor for your car, the only thing different on it (besides the internals) is the electrical plug. The wrench which you tighten it down with is 7/8", which means the sensor bung should be the same size as well. I don't think there is any real external difference between the California and non-California sensor. You should be golden here.

If the car came with California emissions on it (and it's no longer garaged in CA), you'll still want to put a CA O2 sensor on it or it will probably throw a code. The reason is, the vehicle computer will be looking for a certain input from the sensor. If it is getting readings something other than what it expects, you get an exception and a check engine light. The CA O2 sensor should fit right up into the new cat ... the bungs are pretty much standard on all American vehicles (and probably most other vehicles through out the world as well).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.